The Adoption Process
The Tuscarawas County Humane Society takes great care in placing the animals at our shelter into safe, comfortable and loving homes. Our simple three-step adoption process helps us determine the compatibility and safety of our adoptable animals and their new families. All our animals are adopted out through an approved application.
Submit an online adoption application. Select either the Dog Adoption Application or the Cat Adoption Application Be sure to contact the shelter to verify the approval of your application by calling 330-343-6060 or stopping at our facility located at 1432 Tall Timber Road, NE, New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663. Application process may take 24-48 hours to complete.
- The New Owner understands that the Humane Society receives and rescues animals from a wide variety of circumstances. Although Humane Society personnel may provide the New Owner with some information about the animal, the Humane Society can never guarantee the health, behavior or disposition of the animal. The New Owner, therefore, takes ownership of the animal "AS IS" and "with all faults”.
- The New Owner shall keep the animal at all times in a humane, sanitary and lawful manner. Dogs and cats shall be primarily indoor pets. Dogs or cats may not be housed outdoors, and may not be tethered outside unattended for more than one hour. All animals must be provided with standard, annual inoculations.
- We encourage you to take your new animal to your veterinarian within 72 hours to ensure its health and update on vaccines and flea/heartworm prevention. A stool sample should be taken to your vet at this time. There are parasites that are not killed by the wormer used at the shelter.
- Until the health of your animal is established, you should not let it around other animals that you may already own. Contagious illnesses such as kennel cough can be transmitted to your dogs.
- All animals must be spayed or neutered prior to adoption.
Dogs: $165.00 which includes; spay/neuter, microchip, heartworm tested negative (if age appropriate), up to date on vaccinations (DAPP, Kennel Cough, & Rabies), and current on flea/tick/heartworm prevention.
Cats: $60.00 which includes; spay/neuter, FeLv/FIV tested negative, up to date on vaccinations (FVRCP + LVK and Rabies), and current on flea/tick/heartworm prevention.